Zauber Brewing Company: Website | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Interviewees: Cheryl Harrison (editor of Drink Up Columbus and president at speechbubble) and Geoff Towne, owner (not pictured)
Location: 909 West Fifth Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43212
Special event: Zauber’s Oktoberfest!
Q | What’s your favorite beer here at Zauber?
A | Vertigo. It has banana and clove notes and a low ABV, so it’s easy for me to drink a liter. Or two. Or three. This is what I order every Wednesday while I’m here for game night.
Q | What makes the Zauber experience unique?
A | First of all, did you know there’s a game library? Ask any server and they’ll hand you a sheet that lists all the games they have! It’s super fun because they have everything from Scrabble to Settlers of Catan, Uno to Cards Against Humanity. Zauber basically just wants people to come hang out and have fun and make it your own experience. Even though there is a kitchen with food on-site, it’s not like a restaurant where you feel like you’re being hurried out because someone else is waiting for a table. The idea is to hang out – even if it’s at 7:30am on a weekend to watch soccer!
Q | What’s your relationship with Zauber?
A | Zauber is a client of speechbubble. We manage social media for local businesses primarily in the craft beer industry. We started working together because Geoff (the owner) knew me from Drink Up Columbus.
Q | What’s unique about Zauber’s space?
A | The concept mimics that of a traditional German beer hall in many ways. For one example, it supports other businesses, like food trucks. The Explorers Club food truck is now here full-time.
Q | What makes Zauber’s beer different?
A | The beers here are different because they’re all Belgian and German styles. It’s a unique experience for beer drinkers. For a while, America has been Americanizing British beers like IPAs. Zauber wants to do the same by putting their own spin on Belgian and German beers. It’s a hoppy experience without being overwhelming. Plus, there are beer cocktails!
Bonus awesome info time! Here’s some more info about Cheryl Harrison that you just have to know (because she’s so fun and wants to drink beer with you):
- Cheryl is the Editor of booze news blog Drink Up Columbus, which has been covering craft beer, wine and spirits in Central Ohio since 2011.
- Cheryl also owns the communication company speechbubble, which manages social media, media relations and other promotional marketing for Central Ohio businesses primarily in the booze biz.
- Cheryl says she chose to chat with Best of the Menu at Zauber because it’s one of her favorite breweries in Central Ohio — and not just because they pay her, she insists.
- Cheryl is a co-founder of the Columbus Ale Trail, which launched in May 2015. The Ale Trail is a passport program that rewards locals and tourists alike for visiting Central Ohio breweries. There are 25 breweries listed in the book (though not all have a taproom or are required to visit). Two more breweries have opened since the book launched. The book will reprint annually.
- Cheryl is also the organizer of the Beers and Board Games Club of Columbus, which has been playing games and drinking beers around Central Ohio since 2013. The group meets every Wednesday at Zauber.